Frequently asked questions:
WHAT IS COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE?
Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA, is one of the best ways to obtain fresh seasonal vegetables, herbs and flowers. As a CSA member, you support local agriculture by helping farmers offset the yearly costs of seeds and supplies, and reduce the environmental impact of the long distances food travels to go from a farm to your plate.
A CSA is a partnership between the farmer and its members, sharing in the risks and rewards of the growing season. We seek to promote a close relationship with our CSA family, while providing a diverse selection of high quality produce.
WHY JOIN OUR CSA?
Seasonality: Eating locally goes hand in hand with eating seasonally. Joining our CSA means you'll eat with the seasons, try tasty vegetables you've never heard of before, and have a diverse bag of vegetables each week. By the end of the season you'll be well versed in the vegetables that grow here in North Carolina.
Health: We think that eating fresh, chemical free, non-GMO food is one of the best things you can do for your health. The vegetables in our CSA are harvested no more than 24 hours before they are delivered, ensuring the absolute best flavor, a high nutrient content and a longer storage life.
Environment: By supporting a farm that uses organic methods you are a contributor in growing food that is not only good for you health, but also good for the land. Our growing practices mean that our land is chemical free. We also have implemented growing practices that promote healthy soil ecology and provide a habitat for pollinators, as well as other beneficial insects and animals. In addition, buying local means that the transport cost and distance to get your vegetables from farm to plate is minimal, further reducing your environmental impact.
Community: Our CSA members are a family and we plan to treat you that way, too! You'll see your Olivette farmers at every on farm CSA pick up and we'll get to know you. It's a perfect time to share stories, recipes and and tidbits about the farm. We hope that your CSA bag will also provide you with the opportunity to set aside more time to share meals with your friends and family.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Our Salad CSA season lasts for 28 weeks, beginning on April 26 and ending on November 1.
- You may sign up for either the full 28 weeks or a half season lasting 14 weeks (April 26 through November 1 OR August 2 through November 1).
- Each week your bag will contain 5-7 different seasonal vegetables grown right on our farm. All of the vegetables in your share each week can easily be eaten raw as a salad ingredient, however, certain items can also be cooked.
- Our Flower CSA lasts for 10 weeks beginning in mid-June and running through late August.
- You'll get a weekly newsletter from us that includes what will be in your bag that week as well as some updates on what's happening around the farm.
- An example of a spring Salad CSA bag would be:
- 1 Bag of Lettuce Mix
- 1 Bag of Arugula
- 1 Bag of Spinach
- 1 Bunch of Spring Onions
- 1 Bunch of Baby Carrots
- 1 Bunch of Baby Beets
- An example of a summer CSA bag would be
- 1 Pint of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Pint of Lunchbox Peppers
- 1 Bag of Summercrisp Lettuce
- 1 Bag of Basil
- 1 Bag of Baby Kale
- 1 Quart of Microgreens
- You can pick up your vegetable and/or flower CSA in one of five locations:
- On the farm on Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00pm.
- 215 Old Macedonia Road, Alexander, NC 28701
- At the Asheville City Market on Saturdays from 8:00am-12:00pm
- North Market Street, Asheville, NC 28801
- At Fifth Season Gardening in the Asheville Market on Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00pm.
- 4 South Tunnel Road, Asheville, NC 28805
- At the Black Mountain Tailgate Market on Saturdays from 9:00am-12:00pm
- 130 Montreat Road, Black Mountain, NC 28711
- At the Asheville City Market South on Wednesadys from 12:00pm-4:00pm.
- 1 Town Square Blvd, Asheville, NC 28803
- On the farm on Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00pm.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- Our full season vegetable CSA share costs $560.
- You save $40 by purchasing a full season CSA share.
- Our half season vegetable CSA share costs $300.
- Our flower CSA share costs $100
CAN I SPLIT A SHARE WITH A FRIEND?
- Yes! You are more than welcome to split a share with a friend or another family.
- Shares can only be split in half, however, they can be picked up a two separate locations.
- If you would like to split a share then please contact us to let us know and we'll send over the sign up form for split shares.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Please make sure you have read through and understand the CSA FAQ page. Once you have read all of the necessary information you can purchase a share on our online store.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.